What is Cross Country Marathon?
The AMBC Cross Country Marathon (XCM) events are races where duos or solo competitors challenge themselves to complete as many laps of an extended cross country course over a 4 hour period. The winner is the competitor or duo that completes the most laps. Total race time is used to rank riders who complete an equal number of laps. Laps completed after the finish time limit will not be counted.
|All riders mass start at 09:00AM
Melrose XCM Start time 10:00AM
|Solo Male - A, B, C, D Grades
|Solo Female - A, B, C Grades
|Under 19 Male
|Under 19 Female
|Under 17 Male
|Under 17 Female
|Under 15 Male
|Under 15 Female
|Under 19 Duo (all genders) (includes U17 & U15 riders)
|Under 13 Duo (all genders)
|*Junior time limitations are fixed by AusCycling Technical Regulations and are non-negotiable
|*Valid AusCycling race license required to compete.
*Rental race plate with a transponder attached supplied.
*Race plate to be returned after each race.
|Refunds for Race costs
Our refund policy for races costs can be found here.
Please contact the Junior Coordinator – email@example.com – to assist with forming teams, and clarification of junior categories.
The race tracks will consists of a mixture of singletrack and fireroads. The length of the course will be somewhere between 7km and 20km depending on the terrain. The aim is to provide a lap that the fastest elite riders will complete in about 35 mins. All technical abilities will be catered for.
Difficult technical sections will have easier “B-lines” or be made easy to walk if necessary. The course will be marked using AMBC arrows, surveyors paint on the ground and / or surveyors tape in trees or fences. Every attempt will be made to mark the course as extensively as possible but riders need to be aware that some onus is on them to make sure they know where they are going.
Each event will have a large transition / feed area directly next to the start / finish line. Duos and support crew will be able to setup next to the track in this area and parking will be available as close as possible.
Additional Race Rules for XCM Series
- The XCM Series rules supplement the generic club Race Rules.
- There will be one mass start for the XCM races, with self seeding being used on the start line.
- The aim is to do as many laps as you or your duo can do in the allocated time.
- To be classified as a finisher a solo rider need only complete 1 lap while duos require each member to complete at least 1 lap.
- Competitors can stop riding and rest or finish at any time they choose, however they must inform the timing officials of their decision to finish before the 4 hour point. Failure to do this may result in a DNF. Once this notification has been given, no members of the duo are allowed to re-enter the race course.
- The riders or duos who have completed the most number of laps will be declared winner. If there are an equal number of laps then the winner is decided on the elapsed time.
- Duos can only have 1 rider on course at any given time and rider changeover must be made by physical contact in the transition area directly after the start / finish line.
- Rider changeovers cannot occur in any other area.
- At the finish time (precisely) the course will close and no further riders will be allowed to start a lap.
- Laps completed after the finish time limit will not count.
For all results, please check the Results page. Announcements of results will be made on the home page when available.